Sunday, July 08, 2007

Books and knitting

I adored Jane Austen’s novel. The letter Captain Wentworth writes to Anne…it was almost as good as Mr. Darcy’s entire character. Almost. This main character was quietly lovely. Why does that only make sense if you have read the book? Anyone who liked P&P’s Lizzy is in for a shock with Anne Elliot Wentworth. Where Lizzy was open and straightforward, Anne was a sealed vault. All the same, I came to love her. Who could not? It is a Jane Austen character.

The Maternal Grandmother has gone with me nearly every day last week to estate sales or antique shops. It has been good knitting time for me and I have found very nice editions of minor works by my favorite writers. J. M. Barrie among them. Naturally, I am no closer to picking out what exactly I want to explore in literature. I remain optimistic, nevertheless.

The Cable-Down Raglan is complete, even with the modifications I made to the pattern. Someday a picture will be posted. I am very glad it is finally done, no big projects for the time being; though I am working out the pattern of a mosaic hat.

This afternoon I saw the new Disney movie…the one about the cooking rat. I would have enjoyed it more had I not had the Elder Twin in my lap nearly the entire movie. Needless to say, not much knitting was done. The Twins and I went with the StepPaternal Grandmother, who also treated us to ice cream after the movie. I wonder how StepSister number 1 would like an afternoon like that for her birthday.