Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Last Day of Classes....until Aug

The semester is over…except for the grades. Someone pass the whiskey; it helps the waiting go faster.

Medieval Lit conference went over nicely, the Maternal Grandfather showed up to hear me speak. My buddies were impressed, I was ecstatic. Everyone had 15 minutes to talk and 5 for questions. I talked for 7 minutes. What can I say? I was the first person on the second panel and the three speakers on the first ran out of time. Meaning, I felt that I needed to distill my already boiled down paper. The prof was cool, she allowed us to spend the rest of the time discussing the ideas and what I need to explore later on. During one of the breaks, one of my buddies liked a hat I had knitted up (I did not realize it was one of the Harry Potter house colors) so I gave it to her. My friend who wanted the chain mail loved both of them. That means not one but two people liked my knitting. I am still thrilled over that.

The party finial was a blast. I stayed in one room nearly exclusively, and on the floor. We were eating on the floor, using the coffee table to hold our plates and cups. For some odd reason I stayed there. It was fun. We had a round of pictures taken, I except I shall find myself on some FaceBook or MySpace page this week. Nothing scandalous, all the more pity. What else happened other than the showing of tattoos? Hmmm. Oh! One of my classmates, whom has not seen me spend the semester knitting, said some of his high school students want to knit in his class. He only lets the student with all As do so, but he did not know if she was paying attention or just reading the material intensely at night. Never fear, I told him it helps me focus and it is more than possible to pay attention and knit at the same time—so long as it is mindless knitting and nothing overly complicated. He felt better. Yea! Another teacher converted to students knitting in class.

Now I can spend the summer reading, working, and (in the words of last night) ‘wake up and sleep.’