Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Wow, this is long

Is it Friday yet?

Well, there were only 5 players at last night’s game. All the same, we made 2, count them, 2 outs in 1 inning. And everyone got to bat as soon as they made a run, making all but one of the players very happy. Of course, we lost that game (by 3 points) and tonight’s game (don’t ask). Younger Twin was catcher on both occasions and was beside herself with delight. She was going to miss tonight on account of fatigued, then decided there was a chance she could be catcher again and miraculously refreshed.

Mom is much better after yesterday’s string of tests. They think she has a compacted sinus infection. The doctor said she can return to half-days next week.

The rest of this post is about knitting, feel free to move on if it bores you.

I made a new friend today. She knits. Her sister was having an event at The Cedars, a place I assist when needed, and it came up (no, I did not initiate the conversation). We were talking about places in Italy we would like to see, as the sisters are going there in November. As a history buff, we were able to talk about the museums and such stuff. I threw in, “If I could ever go abroad again, I would do what I could to get into the academic rooms of museums and collections. Of course, I would also be in every knitting store I could come across;” just as a last comment. Next thing I know, my new friend, Ms. A, and I are chatting away about our favorite types of projects. Naturally, she lives an hour away. We can spilt the difference and meet at a park, but she and I had a wonderful conversation. They were surprised to learn I am a Literature person since we were knee deep in the topic of history.

I had a happy moment, a rare thing these days.

Though the local family does not mind me knitting around them and are fairly use to me doing so; there is just something special about knitting with someone who is also knitting. Or even just talking about it. We knitters (as a generality, there are always exceptions) are social by craft and it is refreshing to be in a knitting circle.

And it has finally happened; I may have found a stitch and needle size for the Elder Twin’s mock shawl. To think, it only took seven attempts to find it. It is overly simple, but it is working up well and that is what truly matters. Perhaps it was merely me trying to force it into a complicated garment that was the problem. Lately, nearly all of my projects have been a step or two higher than what I could easily do. This is a return to basics. 120 stitches in Irish Moss (also called Double Moss and Double Seed) on size 11 needles. This is going to be huge, as I have purchased 880 yards of yarn.

Despite my best intentions, I bought yarn. KnitPicks.com is having a one week sale on yarn and I had to buy some. Originally, I was up to $50 but I was able to cut it in half. After all, I do need to be able to close the trunk. Fingers get ready, we have to knit.