Friday, September 01, 2006

making up for yesterday


I spent the day at my stepdad’s business learning how things are done. Later this month, I am supposed to be able to handle things by myself for a day while the regular worker takes a day off. That meant I had to listen to her talk all day long. For over 8 hours. About some drama surrounding her boyfriend’s divorce; incidentally he and his soon to be ex are members of the church and I had heard most of it before. Sadly, I could think of no polite way of telling her to keep silent on the matter and she never picked up on my nonverbal signals.

Thankfully, I was able to finish the body of a purse I am working on for stepsister no 2’s Christmas knit. A picture will come after it is blocked and pieced together. I might scrap it altogether.

I am ecstatic about my night class. The Prof has actually seen the study of Women in Lit from the start of its academic life; meaning when it quit being a handful of major writers (Emily Dickens and Virginia Woolf mostly) to having dissertations written about a single woman writer. How cool is that? The class is going to be focused around the voice of women (or lack thereof) and how it comes out literature. My day classes are still fun: I am leading my Af/Am class on the 12th when we go over S. Truth’s ‘Ain’t I a woman’ speech; and my Lit Research Prof made the dull readings exciting. Don’t misunderstand, I love theory but the background makes me want to bang my head against the wall.

Here is a pic of the building I have class in. It is
kinda weird, walking into the second floor lobby. For my friends back at my undergrad university—I mean a real lobby. With chairs, tables, chairs, benches, and a small food/coffee area where we can buy Pepsi, chips, candy, pre-made sandwiches, hamburgers, etc. And did I mention there are tables and chairs to eat at? And benches to sit on? Granted, we still have to sit on the floor outside of classrooms waiting for the other class to get out; but we have a well-lit lobby and the halls are white with many florescent lighting. And an overhead on the walkway so we can smoke/eat/meet/talk outside and not get wet or be too much in the way. The building looks funky, but I am so loving it. Though it is weird to not be in ‘the dark cave of Irby Hall.’