Monday, August 28, 2006

What a Lovely Afternoon

Comfort is sitting in a makeshift window seat reading books while a small coffeemaker is being used to make tea. I never thought I would enjoy a window seat as much as I did this afternoon. I read 2 of the 6 books for my Women in Lit class, which is not even meeting until Thursday night, while Puppy slept on the rug. It was really nice.

Tomorrow is the first day of Grad school and I simply cannot wait. Lit Research and African American Lit to 1900 sound like good classes. Though it would be nice if the latter had a book list or reading list or something to give me a heads up. After class, I have to stop at a yarn store—not to get yarn understand, but I do need some better needles in a size 4.

Yesterday I listened to 3 sermons before noon. 2 of them were delivered by a member of the church (not an elder, deacon, or preacher). First he gives a 5 minute spill at the communion table (that could have been said in under a minute if the man has ever attended a rhetoric/speech class). Then the preacher had his normal spill, which for mom’s church means 15 minutes including the PowerPoint outline and scripture. Lastly, the communion dude makes a 10 minute speech (which was a disaster rhetorically: bad use of parallels, images, repetition, etc, and he no idea how to deliver a speech). I was cringing the entire time. A day later and I still have no clue what he was trying to do. The message was the same as the preacher, that much I have grasped. Please God be merciful and keep him from speaking next week. I might have to give him one of my rhetoric books…better yet, where are my notes from all those speech classes? I’ll donate a copy to him.

My dad made it back from the beach with his family, everyone is in tact or so I’ve gathered from his blog a few minutes ago. Glad to hear that they had a good holiday last week.