Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dense Reading

I am so glad I accidentally bought the companion guide to Joyce's Ulysses. A good portion of my life (over 12 years) has been spent reading the Classics and I still have problems following all the references. And this is not even the real book. I start that tomorrow after I prepare for a presentation on Tuesday on John Donne: women and virginity. Not a big deal, I am familiar with the material but I do need to spend about three hours prepping everything.

Ravelry is a wonderful distraction. I saw one of my own projects when I was trying to find a new pattern to use some bulky wool with. Then there is the IK Icarus shawl that I have been dieing to cast on. But all the lace weight I have is in this red-ish brown and I simply do not know how that will look. Ok, so I've seen this shawl knit up in variegated yarn and in bright colors. But red-ish brown? No such luck. I did cast on a Calorimetry (Knitty Winter 2006) at Stash's Knit Night and it is so boring. Even just to mindless knit. The Maternal Grandmother has been hinting at needing one, she is getting socks for Christmas. They are already done. Yet, I find myself knitting this thing.

To be honest, this week has been rather low. I did not read for a class at all, nor did I even bring the right book on Thursday. Just the paper due Wed and an abstract for Thurs. If I had not read so much Donne three years ago and finished Ford's The Good Solider last month, I would have not been prepared at all. And I find myself not knitting when there is a perfectly good time to. And no, that time has not been spent even thinking about knitting.