Wednesday, January 02, 2008

meditation on a thesis

have I told you yet that I have a study? It is really just a corner and some wall space in a room at Mom's house that sorta holds everything we do not have a place for. But it is my study space. Today, I spent some time taking many notes on Barrie's Window in Thrums (WiT) and putting ideas to paper. These slips of paper were then tacked to my bulletin board. I felt very productive. Like this whole thesis thing might actually be possible.

But as I was sitting back, enjoying this feeling it occurred to me that I am not very daring in my studies. For example, the majority of my peers at the UofMem department of English are into minority studies and real ground-breaking topics. One, FML, is defending her thesis on Lacon in Pullman's Dark Material novels (Golden Compass is the first one). Another is looking at the development of hip-hop from 'field songs' (there is a real word for this, but it escapes me at the moment). Then my buddy KMB is looking at Sherman Alexie and AfAm themes of identity. And these are just in the lit portion of the department, not covering the "Textuality" people I know. There isn't even a concrete definition of that field! (I define it as: words/a message and their/its presentation.) My understanding does not even begin to encompass it all. Yet last semester someone in class was working on the Dick and Jane books in a "Textuality" frame rather than a lit one.

My thesis just looks safe and unoriginal. I mean JMBarrie = Dead White Guy. No one in or out of the department has criticized or look down at me for my topic...minus the whole "classic elitist" incident (which I should just let go of). And yes, there are those who are working in the Medieval field. But I keep thinking I am just so blah.

Let's just write this off as stress and anxiety. I'll be over this in a few days. It would go much quicker if my full-bloodied sister was not spending the night for the second night in a row... Happy thoughts. Happy place. Oh, look! pictures of wool taken by me today (I had a bad moment in life, wool does wonders for those moments).



It's a sleeve to a top for me. Knitted today.


This is just the project in my purse. It's an "Odd Stripe Out" Scarf.