Monday, October 15, 2007

Puppy is a mommy!

Ok, so my neutered aged dog did not give birth this weekend. However, Sunday when we were at our last walk of the night (even though I never say it is, somehow she knows it is the last walk of the day and must smell every blade of grass and pebble) she got real tense on the lease. I saw this little kitten walk up and not do the flight-or-fight stance cats get when seeing a dog of any size. Puppy would not move. So I sigh and bend down to see what the deal was. It was this manged infant cat: eyes crusted over, dandruff, fleas crawling all over it bold as brass, wheezing, and malnourished. What did we do? Picked it up and finished our walk with it. I had every intension of taking it to the Animal Shelter this morning, truly I did. Neither of the Maternal Grandparents or myself thought this kitten would live through the night and we furiously washed our hands several times after contact.

I took it to Mom's this morning, since it had a bit more life in it, to have some caned cat food. After watching it devouring the broth, Mom told me to take it to the Vet's rather than the Shelter. Everyone up there loved this kitten (after the flea bath). We don't know it's age or rather it will be blind. Truth be told, we are not even sure of the gender. However (be prepared to be shocked) here are some pics I took tonight (there will never be before shots, they just break my heart):



You can see that Puppy is quite devoted. Originally, it's name was 'Walker' (I know, so creative but what'd you expect, my dog's name is Puppy?). Mom vetoed that one, citing the name sounded like a Chuck Norris character. She suggested 'Shadow' but after a bath the Vet confirmed the kitten is a Siamese (that should tell you how dirty this thing was). I want something knitty but 5 year olds do need to pronounce it.