Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Feb 21

I still have strep throat. Great. No surprise, but disappointing all the same. A shot and some pills should clear it up in the next few days, or so I am desperately hoping. I am sick of this sore throat. However, I am back to knitting for hours a day; ergo, I am getting better. Four hours yesterday (three were in class and one was during a reading group) and two today.

The Tain came in yesterday and I was much too excited about it. In fact, I am speeding through some of my other readings to get to it. Just because I have a new book does not mean I can give up reading the articles, books, plays, and excerpts for my other classes. Being a grown-up is not fun.

Yesterday’s Critical Theory reading was a walk down memory lane. I can see why I enjoyed the Romantics when I did, and why they do not hold the appeal they did. All the same, I wanted to pick up my Wordsworth and Blake (and did for a brief moment). Not that Hume was not a blast to read; but I must confess to getting lost at one point. When I found myself, I was back where I started. The readings for tomorrow’s Renaissance Drama was so enjoyable, I read the whole play. E. Carey’s The Tragedy of Miriam was not meant to be performed and I understand that. All the same, I want to see it on stage—there would be much in the way of characters rather than action and it would be fun.

I am actually observing Lent this year. No buying new yarn. I had already decided to go on a yarn diet, but this way I will not cheat. That would just be wrong. Fat Tuesday was really Fat Monday, since I bought two skeins of yarn at Michael’s that was not on sale. And it is getting harder to close the trunk without half a skein sticking out.