Saturday, August 16, 2008

yea!

I survived orientation without being bored to tears. Eye-rolling was involved many, many times. But no tears.

my new Master's Program (School of Information Sciences) has its own orientation for incoming students that is mandatory attendance despite campus or distance education status. We were shown where to get our passwords changed, how to work BlackBoard, and what services are at our disposal. Most of it I had already figured out, either through a previous class (BlackBoard) or just surfing the website (password change and Inter-Library Loan).

today was much better than yesterday, except when it came to lunch. Two panels were presenting, one of our peers and the other librarians in a certain field. The latter was a lot of information to digest all at once. I now know for certain that Public Library and School Library are not for me (yeah and standing ovation to those in these areas). I liked what the Archive Librarian talked about, it would be very cool to be a part of that. And while the Special Librarian was focused in an area that does not thrill me, I like the general concept of it. Looks like I might be blending the two. My work study in a Medical Library will help me make that choice.

I am currently sewing the sleeves of a pullover (pictures of the FO tomorrow when it is done). I also threw a scarf OTN for orientation, no use messing up a WIP just because I had to listen. My Profs now know me by my knitting and all are cool with me knitting in their classes. Good, I might not have to use the letter my Shrink wrote up.

also happening this past week: I bought a bus pass that is good for a semester and have started reading my text books already. Thus far, it is way better than the previous prep I've put into my classes. Backing up for a moment, all the buses are back to normal schedule starting Monday. After I make a few calls that morning, I plan on riding the buses around town to see exactly where they take me. (Hoping against everything that one will take me to Yarn Haven.)

speaking of LYSes (you should have seen this coming). I have now been to all the major ones in the area. IMO (and high standers) they are as followed.

Loopville: amazing yarn (Shetland anyone?) but not a strong Sit 'n Knit following due to its location (surrounded by restaurants and limited parking). They have toys to occupy small children and husbands while one shops. And apparently their new location is larger with elbow room to spare.

The Knitting Nest: hard to find, but really cool atmosphere. New yarn coming in (they recently moved and wanted to be settled in before new shipments came. Lots of "exotic" fibers, even a wool/yak blend 50/50. Also, they have a balcony you can knit on with a non-city view.

The Yarn Haven: again, I love the atmosphere. They have sofas and chairs in front of a huge TV, all on a rug, giving it a living room feeling. Interestingly, they sort their fiber by weight and have a large 25% off bin that could get me in trouble fast.

except for Loopville, I do not recall seeing any Rowan fiber (and even that was scarce). Seems like Cascade and Plymouth are their staples. What a strange place I have come upon.