Friday, August 08, 2008

bad moment in life

so there I was unpacking the yarn and organizing it by fiber, when I realized I needed to check out one of my yarns on Ravelry. I knew it had a greater purpose, that I had seen it knitted up and fell instantly in love, but looking at it in the skein was doing nothing for me. When my homepage came up, I saw the news that Russia and Georgia were fighting.

I just went cold. Not for a single moment did I think the press was talking about the North American state of Georgia (which could have happened). Instead I remembered my elementary geography, and how I would check to see if the maps showed the U.S.S.R. or Russia and the smaller Slavic countries, East/West Germany, and the Czech Republic. I was always interested in how the maps changed and what that change meant. Stars, I played U.N. with my non-Barbie dolls. So, I nearly had a panic attack when the news sunk in and I realized the larger implications of these actions.

needless to say, I turned off my computer and got out of the apartment (my shrink would be happy). I ended up at a LYS (the peanut gallery may now roll its eyes) and bought some necessities (tape measure and needles). Puppy must have been worried, because she jumped around and did her happy dance when I walked back into the apartment. We went for a long walk.

Puppy really helps me feel better. I am so glad she is here, even if she gave up a nice backyard, grandparents, sisters, cats, and chasing squirrels. I think she is happy here too.